Cubicle workers can have a hard time staying fit! After all, sitting for 8 hours isn’t exactly a work out, and when you add 4 cups of coffee and the odd fast food lunch, you should be concerned for your overall health!
Hitting the gym is impossible – no extra hours in the day between family, work and commute – so how can you burn calories and stay healthy even when stuck in a cubicle? We’ve found at least five ways.
- Number one is obvious. Don’t stay in the cubicle all day! It can be hard to break away from the computer and even breaks are often spent online. Forgo your Facebook check-in and take a lap around the office instead. Getting up and moving every hour or so – even if it’s just a quick trip to the copy machine and back – is a great way to keep your metabolism engaged.
- Stand up. Even if you are in your cubicle, you don’t have to sit the whole time, Stand up when on calls, pace in a circle when reading a hard copy draft, anything to keep you moving. You can burn up to 225 calories an hour just by standing up and moving while at the office!
- Invest in a “desk-stepper”. If you have to sit and type for long periods of time, a desk stepper is ideal. It fits under your desk and allows you to work your legs while seated – up to a 90 calorie burn every 20 minutes! It’s also a good investment if you are prone to stiffness, leg problems, or have to worry about poor circulation or clotting.
- Get co-workers to work out with you – even if it’s showing up to work ten minutes early and taking a fast walk around the building before clocking in, or doing calisthenics at lunch. It’s amazing how having a partner can motivate you!
- Drink as much water as you can. Make a deal with yourself – before every cup of coffee or soda, you have to down a bottle of water. You’ll find your cravings melt away and you get used to drinking water!
What are your best ways to stay healthy in a cubicle environment?