At OBEX, we like to encourage employers to give workers some leeway to “make their cube their own”. But not all employees are actually interested in personalizing their cubicle. If you’ve ever wondered why, you may find the conversation happening over at LifeHacker enlightening. The comments are in response to an article about how to make a cube more comfy and less boring. Here’s a rundown of some of the perspectives from those who feel no urge to decorate:
- Work is a place to work and not a place to be “comfortable”. Being a little uncomfortable at work helps you maintain work/life balance by ensuring you want to go home at the end of the day. Decorating at work would blur the lines too much.
- There is no need to be reminded of home while at work. Either it’s simply distracting or it makes you wish you were home instead of at the workplace. Focus on work and not escapism!
- Having no decorations is a sign of ambition. The cube dweller is ready to move up the ladder (or out the door to greener pastures) at a moment’s notice. Having a cubicle full of personal stuff means you’ve been there for years and are “stuck”.
- If the desk is in an open area, people might steal stuff that has sentimental value. It’s safer to only have things at work that you don’t care about.
- Getting relocated over and over means having to move your stuff every time. It’s easier to travel light.
Of course, there’s something to be said for “undecorating” a previously personalized cube. One commenter revealed that it was fun to strip down all decorations. Her boss freaked out, thinking she was quitting (three months later, she did).
It is important to note, however, that even those who are against decoration still enjoy adding functionality. If there’s something they can do to make their cubicle support their job more effectively, they see no problem with adjusting their workspace. So, they may not care about what color or pretty pattern their cubicle panel extender is. But if it helps them focus more on work, they’re likely to love it anyway!